Job Posting End Date: 09/25
We are Unum (pronounced you-num) and we’re one of the UK’s leading financial protection insurers; that means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover and Life Insurance. You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don’t know that we’ve been around for over forty years and insure more people under our Income Protection products than Aviva, Legal and General, or Canada Life – companies you’re more likely to have heard of. We are working towards becoming the Employee Benefits provider of choice for working Britain.
The proactive management of claims administered by Unum, providing the financial security and support to enable our customers to focus on recovery whilst developing and maintaining strong customer relationships within and outside the company.
- Provide a high level of customer service at all times through the achievement of service standards and an awareness of customer expectations and perspective
- Investigate all claims within an allocation, reaching a decision as to initial liability and continued validity through the application of medical knowledge and the accurate interpretation of policy documentation, proactively identifying and obtaining all information necessary to the validation of each claim effectively utilising direct contact on all claims unless documented as inappropriate and setting clear management plans.
- Communicate all claims decisions in a timely and appropriate manner and ensure that communication during the assessment process is regular, timely and clearly documented.
- Work with the Customer Care rehabilitation team in promoting and assisting claimants in returning to work
- Build and maintain strong relationships with all customers, co-operating with Sales in developing and maintaining business
- Attend company meetings as representative of Unum
- Work co-operatively within the team and department to meet business needs and ensure appropriate work balance, participating in team social responsibility initiatives.
- Contribute to short-term team and departmental projects.
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum’s information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Understand how Conduct Risk, Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) Risk Management and Solvency II systems of Governance relate to both the role and the divisional activities and highlight any opportunities for improvement.
- Comply with Unum’s Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role.
- Claim allocation- 70-100
- Cheque Signing Limit- £12,500 as awarded by CCTM
- Delivers Results
Sets high goals for personal accomplishment and contribution to team/area goals; monitors progress and works diligently to meet/exceed goals.
- Develops Self
Displays strong capacity and thirst for learning and developing broad business and leadership skills; openness to diverse ideas & experiences and has keen self-awareness re: strengths and areas of development.
- Makes Effective Decisions
Evaluates options by thinking both critically and holistically when considering relevant information and potential implications to both the team and company; chooses an effective option.
- Strong Business Acumen
Displays strong understanding of own department and good general understanding of overall business objectives, evolving customer needs and technological solutions; applies continuous improvement practices to enhance business processes and results.
- Strong Teamwork
Actively works collaboratively to help move the team toward the completion of team and business goals.
- Values Driven
Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to communicate with claimants in an empathetic manner
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, AWD, VB Root CMS
- 2. 75% minimum pass in assessor training including: Understanding of the NHS, Psychology of illness, Understanding of long term medical conditions, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis, In depth knowledge of all types of IP policies administered by Unum, Principles of reserving, Principles of disability claims assessment, Use of claims management tools such as functional assessments, Understanding of rehabilitation processes, Dealing with complaints, Principles and practice of settlement of claims, The Disability Discrimination Act, the Data Protection Act and allied law, Time and work list management
- Presentation Skills
- Effective Meetings
- Scheme Underwriting
- Understanding the Impact of Change
- Compulsory Annual Training
- Ongoing departmental development sessions
- Conflict Management
- Negotiation Skills
Minimum entry criteria:
- Good level of literacy
- Graduate level of qualification (or equivalent) and/or experience in law, psychology, nursing or other relevant discipline
- The ability to make autonomous decisions under pressure
- The ability to surface and deal with conflict appropriately
- Self confidence and the ability to influence others
- A clear ability for logical thought and problem solving
- The ability to adapt to change
- Self management skills
- Respect for others
This is a great opportunity to work for a UK subsidiary of a global organisation, we look after our employees, offer a great work-life balance, generous benefits, a professional challenge and fantastic career opportunities.