Job Posting End Date: 09/27
We are Unum (pronounced you-num) and we’re one of the UK’s leading financial protection insurers; that means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover and Life Insurance. You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don’t know that we’ve been around for over forty years and insure more people under our Income Protection products than Aviva, Legal and General, or Canada Life – companies you’re more likely to have heard of. We are working towards becoming the Employee Benefits provider of choice for working Britain.
The role exists in the Corporate Reporting team within Financial Management & Reporting. To assist in the delivery of the monthly close process for UK and US reporting, including preparation of timetable and control check lists. The role holder will be responsible for providing tax administration services for the group and for inter company reporting and control for the group together with the provision of data in line with the new business sales reporting to the ABI and FSA.
- Prepare the monthly financial close timetable, assign responsibilities and ensure that the close process is delivered to timetable. Report significant variations and delays to the Senior Financial Accountant.
- Maintain the division’s journal checklist and ensure regular journals are posted on a timely basis, highlighting irregular journals and ensuring that all journals have been adequately authorised.
- Maintain high quality documentation evidencing the financial close process, ensuring that the documentation is updated quarterly and signed off by the Financial Reporting Manager.
- Maintain a reconciliation checklist to ensure that all significant reconciliations have been completed in a timely manner, highlighting all exceptions to the Financial Reporting Manager.
- Set up and provide initial population of ledger data in respect of the team’s principal UK reporting workbooks, highlighting unusual items and movements.
- Provide inter company accounting for all group companies ensuring accurate recording of costs recharged from the US parent company including VAT implications. Challenge costs where appropriate and provide full reconciliation of balances to statements.
- Prepare supporting documentation for the IPT / VAT returns for Unum Limited and other UK group companies where appropriate on a quarterly basis, for review by the Financial Accountant. Ensure that IPT / VAT control accounts are signed off and agreed by the Senior Financial Accountant.
- Prepare draft quarterly submissions in line with ABI and FSA new business sales reporting requirements to the Financial Reporting Manager. Provide reconciliations of data to appropriate MI.
- Ensure that all priority spreadsheets are compliant with accepted standards.
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum’s information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Understand how Conduct Risk, Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) Risk Management and Solvency II systems of Governance relate to both the role and the divisional activities and highlight any opportunities for improvement.
- Comply with Unum’s Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role.
- Delivers Results
- Sets high goals for personal accomplishment and contribution to team/area goals; monitors progress and works diligently to meet/exceed goals.
- Develops Self
- Displays strong capacity and thirst for learning and developing broad business and leadership skills; openness to diverse ideas & experiences and has keen self-awareness re: strengths and areas of development.
- Makes Effective Decisions
- Evaluates options by thinking both critically and holistically when considering relevant information and potential implications to both the team and company; chooses an effective option.
- Strong Business Acumen
- Displays strong understanding of own department and good general understanding of overall business objectives, evolving customer needs and technological solutions; applies continuous improvement practices to enhance business processes and results.
- Strong Teamwork
- Actively works collaboratively to help move the team toward the completion of team and business goals.
- Values Driven
- Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- The role holder will have a proven experience with dealing with a variety of accounting tasks and an ability to work to tight deadlines.
- A high degree of attention to detail and a very methodical approach to clearing key reconciliations and working across the team will be required.
- The role holder will also need have a working knowledge of basic financial processes and be aware of best practice. A key area of the role involves maintaining high quality documentation that is continuously updated for changes, especially where manual processes are involved.
Minimum Entry Criteria:
- Proven book-keeping abilities.
- Competent user of Microsoft suite of products.
- Proficient user of accounting software.
- Part qualified accountant or qualified by experience.
This is a great opportunity to work for a UK subsidiary of a global organisation, we look after our employees, offer a great work-life balance, generous benefits, a professional challenge and fantastic career opportunities.