Job Posting End Date: 12/03
Who are we?
We are Unum – one of the UK’s leading employee benefits providers.
We’ve been around for 50 years, currently protecting over 1.7 million people, providing security and peace of mind to individuals and their families.
With a Fortune 500, US parent company, we’re part of highly successful global organisation, sharing ideas and innovations across teams to create a collaborative work environment. We’re transforming our business, and we’re keen to increase our digital capabilities to evolve the way we work and optimise opportunities for growth.
What will you be doing?
To proactively support the Customer Care Team Manager to develop a market leading, customer service and ensure that performance targets and objectives are achieved for our Life, Critical Illness, Individual and our short-term insurance claims. To proactively manage and develop the Group Life Team and to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with customers (both internal and external) in order to enhance Unum’s profile in the market. This position is intended to maximise the in-depth Group Life knowledge and technical claims management skills of incumbents.
What will you bring?
- As subject matter expert provide technical support and solutions on all aspects of Life claims assessment to ensure that work is progressed, and skills developed effectively to meet business needs.
- To develop, produce and interpret MI data to compare weekly performance against business plan to ensure ongoing delivery of business needs.
- Manage individual and team performance to ensure that they are capable and competent, exercising performance management consistent with corporate policies and procedures and their development needs are proactively identified and addressed.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with all customers, co-operating with Customer Solutions in developing and maintaining business. Attend company meetings to discuss claims processes as a representative of Unum
- Serve as a change agent on transformation projects for the Group Life leveraging the latest technology and process improvement.
- Investigate claims received under Group Life, Group Dependants’, Group and Individual Critical Illness and short-term Group policies, reaching a liability decision through proactively identifying and obtaining all information necessary for the validation of each claim.
- Communicate all claims decisions in a timely and appropriate manner and ensuring that communication during the assessment process is regular, timely and clearly documented.
- Control the distribution and delivery of all work within the Group Life claims team, ensuring work is allocated effectively, and completed within agreed Service Levels.
- Supervise co-ordinators of life and critical illness claims to ensure they maintain competence and their development needs are proactively identified and addressed in order to meet both professional and business demands.
- Check all claims within the agreed authority limit for accuracy and consistency to ensure quality standards are met.
- Make recommendations to proactively manage/prevent future risks
- Liaise with ABI and appropriate external sources as necessary to ensure processes and procedures are in line with current legislation and industry guidelines.
- Assist CCTM in developing and building in-depth technical expertise in the multi-product team through mentoring and sharing feedback resulting from file reviews including claim validations.
- Assist with training initiatives as needed, mentor claims personnel and serve as a Subject Matter Expert
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist CCTM in enhancing organisational performance through ensuring quality of claim documentation and decision rationale. (e.g. Peer file review/segmentation review)
- Assist CCTM in undertaking business analysis, outlining problems, opportunities and solutions for the business
- Assist CCTM with planning and forecasting through the use of data analysis
- Conduct proactive file reviews to assess quality and compliance.
- Provide feedback to Claims Co-ordinators, Claims Management Specialists and CCTM on quality of specific claim documentation and decision rationale.
- Partner with leadership team and business partners (e.g. ICA, QA, Reinsurance, Individual Business) to provide quantitative and qualitative feedback on overall quality of claim documentation and decision rationale.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum’s information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Embed and contribute to the Conduct Risk Framework, wider Solvency II systems of governance principles, Treating Customers Fairly requirements and the Risk Management Framework as it applies to the role and divisional activities and drive improvements as required.
- Comply with Unum’s Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role.
- Delivers Results
Sets high goals for self and team; ensures day to day activities of others are aligned to achieve team and area goals; uses effective measurements to monitor progress against those goals; holds individuals accountable for results.
- Builds Talent
Takes bold action to ensure strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline in place to meet our aggressive business goals. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
- Makes Effective Decisions
Applies critical thinking to make good fact-based decisions with a sense of urgency after assessing potential business implications holistically; shows good judgment in options selected.
- Strong Business Acumen
Applies broad business understanding of internal and external trends and financial considerations to leverage business process and technology opportunities, meet evolving customer needs, and ensure successful implementation of unit/area plans.
- Engages Employees in Implementing the Vision
Inspires individuals toward higher levels of performance; fosters commitment to organization's mission; ensures that others understand their role in achieving area and business priorities.
- Values Driven
Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics; demonstrates strong support of our communities.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- In depth technical knowledge within Life and Critical Illness policies and the claim processes
- Proven experience of Life and Critical Illness claims assessment and processing
- Reinsurance knowledge
- Excellent demonstration of partnership skills with internal and external representatives and resources.
- Management skills including coaching, conflict management, negotiation skills, team working and performance management
- Proven ability to successfully mentor others
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional written and oral communications
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to translate data analysis into specific actions that improve performance
- Experience of automation, system upgrades or digital solutions projects would be an advantage
Why join us?
We aim to be the most inclusive, diverse and socially responsible company in the employee benefits market. With an agile and flexible way of working, we want to be a place where people aspire to work and where everyone can be themselves.
What will you get in return?
We are passionate about our employee health and wellbeing and providing work-life balance that suits you.
Our benefits include a discretionary bonus, 24/7 health support services (including a remote GP), income protection, health cash plan, 27 days annual leave, opportunity to participate in charitable events and more.
However you see your future career, we’ll support and challenge you to be your best with a wealth of learning and development opportunities.
If you need assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to UKTalentDevelopment@Unum.co.uk