Protecting and respecting your personal information
Your personal information
Unum Limited, including its affiliates (collectively, “the Company”, "we", “our”, “Unum” or “us”), are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which we will process any personal information we collect from you or that you provide to us. Please note that this policy is specific to our Unum Careers website at https://careers.unum.co.uk (our “site”).
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the Company is the data controller.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it. By visiting our site, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
Personal information, defined
Personal information (or “data”) is information about an identifiable individual, as defined by applicable law. Within the context of our site, personal information may include your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, education and employment history. Personal information does not include information which is unrelated to an identifiable individual, such as aggregated data which we may collect to better understand the users of our site and the ways in which we can improve our site.
Information we may collect from you
If you would like to create an account or apply for a job with us, we ask you for information including your name, postal address, email address, home and work telephone numbers, and resume or CV.
If you are a resident of certain countries, such as the United Kingdom and the United States, you may elect to provide additional information such as your gender, ethnic background, and veteran status. Providing this information is optional and is not required to apply for a job with us. This information will not be considered in evaluating your qualifications for employment. We may use this information to the extent necessary or appropriate for compliance with relevant legal obligations and for other internal purposes. Submitting such information will only be an option in countries where it is permissible by law.
It is the Company’s policy to collect information from you in accordance with all local laws in the country in which you legally reside.
How we use the information you provide
Information you submit to our site may be used in one or more of the following ways:
- to provide you with the information and services that you request from us including information about job vacancies and/or responses to job applications and queries;
- to assess your suitability for a job role, and for the purposes of personnel administration, obtaining references, and statistical analysis including internal recruitment analysis;
- to answer your enquiries;
- to communicate with you about news, information, and opportunities at our Company, provided that you will be able to choose whether or not to receive such communications and may unsubscribe from such communications at any time (see the section below titled “Email Communications and Your Choices”);
- to assist us in finding a position that is most suitable to you and match you to appropriate job vacancies;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to provide a successful on boarding process should you be successful in joining us, including portal access;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- and to seek your consent to collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for any other purpose not listed above.
Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal information with any member of the Unum Group throughout the world, including our subsidiaries and our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may also share your information for business purposes with selected third parties including:
- business partners, service providers and sub-contractors where we have retained them to provide recruitment related services, such as reference, qualification and criminal reference checking services, verification of the details that you have provided and/or to provide psychometric evaluations or skills tests (where and when applicable);
- and analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms of Website Use.
Protecting your personal information
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you to use a password unique to this service and not to share this password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Email communications and your choices
If you have opted in on your application form to us sending you emails with job alerts and you wish this to stop, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject header “Unum Careers Website - Opt Out” or follow the procedures for unsubscribing set forth on the bottom of each email.
Removal of personal data
Access to information
Upon your request, and in accordance with all laws (including those which may require the payment of a statutorily prescribed fee), we will provide you with information about and access to personal information we hold about you. If you wish to make a request for such information, please write to email@example.com providing full details of the personal information relating to yourself that you wish to access.